Re: [TML] OT: Board gaming - was Re: Refuelling Apparatus Thomas RUX 01 Aug 2020 21:49 UTC

Hello Alex,

To be honest I really do not know if I've played or added any euro-style games to my collection, okay horde, of games.

Tom Rux

> On 08/01/2020 8:56 AM Alex Goodwin <xxxxxx@multitel.com.au> wrote:
>
>
> On 1/8/20 7:54 am, Thomas RUX wrote:
> > Hi kaladorn,
> >
> > My losses are planned to give them a bit of a fight so that they will
> > want to teach me how to play and win. Another reason is to give their
> > Mom/Aunt a break.
> >
> > Tom Rux
> >> On 07/31/2020 8:02 AM xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >> I think we all do that.
> >>
> >> When my wife and I play a more complex game with my daughter, at
> >> times we'll play 'fairly sub optimally' just so she can win or come
> >> close. Sometimes it is good for her to fail in order to be good at
> >> managing those emotions and to realize she has to push to improve,
> >> but mostly it is about letting her maintain an interest and to
> >> sometimes get the thrill of beating the elders. It can be tricky to
> >> throw a game without looking like one is...
> >>
> >> A friend who has 3 daughters and is 'the competitive guy' in any
> >> group had a different strategy: He always played to win so that when
> >> his daughters' could eke out a victory, they'd know the sense of
> >> achievement after waiting so long. I'm not sure mine would have the
> >> fiery desire to win that would keep her hanging in there without
> >> winning against us elders. I'm less concerned with who wins than
> >> fostering the interest in gaming generally.
>
> Tom, kaladorn,
>
> Have either of you tried any euro-style games?  I remember TableTop
> showing quite a few off (and causing stockouts of some featured games). 
> For example, Ticket To Ride (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmf1bau9xQ
> - watch out for the ROLEX!).
>
> They tend to focus more on economics, resource acquisition and thus
> indirect conflict - player elimination (such as bankruptcy in Grind Into
> Dogmeat aka Monopoly) seems to be fairly rare.
>
> My infection vector was Power Grid, back at GenCon AU in 2008.  One
> thing that I particularly like, and may help in your "training future
> gamers" endeavours, is that lower-ranked players get first crack in a
> turn at buying fuel for their power plants and building out their ...
> umm.... power grids.  If you're out in front, or seen to be out in
> front, this can _really_ throw a spanner into your plans.
>
> Alex
>
> -----
> The Traveller Mailing List
> Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
> Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
> To unsubscribe from this list please go to
> http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=zZOCJCw2BI9jPrGTB4OJoibiHbbTEiok