Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Jeff Zeitlin 25 Jul 2020 23:59 UTC

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 02:08:27 +1000, Alex Goodwin
<xxxxxx@multitel.com.au> wrote:

>What does "Captain's mast" translate to?  An official bollocking?

More or less. The way it was explained to me, it is essentially a
nonjudicial hearing (and usually punishment for transgression), run by the
Commanding Officer, when the offense in question is too serious to let
pass, but not appropriate for a full court-martial.

Any military organization, and many that have pretensions of wanting to be,
will have the same sort of thing, possibly by a different name - I believe
the US Army calls it simply "NJP", non-judicial punishment; I know the NYPD
calls it "Command Discipline", and in one particularly bad fic that I read
_once_, it was called "The Boss's Carpet".

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2020. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller
    The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Resource
xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)