RE: [TML] HIWG CD Notes Brett Kruger 08 Sep 2020 10:50 UTC

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 09:45:04 +0000, Brett Kruger <xxxxxx@kruger.id.au> wrote:

>Now I know what they are I can convert .ART files. A bit fiddly bit I just successfully converted one of the adventure 'GIF' files.

How? Inquiring Minds Want To Know (because it makes recovering those files possible)!

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller
    The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller(r) Resource xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com http://www.freelancetraveller.com
--
Interesting fact, AOL .ART files can be opened by old versions of Internet Explorer, I guess so it could browse AOL web sites.. I'd forgotten how many old Internet file types Internet Explorer could open.

Anyway, I have a Windows XP virtual machine with some other old software I use occasionally. I have a lot of odd software collected over nearly 30 years in IT, all the way back to DR DOS and OS/2.
Rename the files to .ART, copy the .ART files on to the VM, open them in Internet Explorer by setting the open file dialogue box to look for .ART files.
The .art file will open in Windows Internet Explorer and display. Go to File, Save As and save the file BUT on the Save window select File type to save as .bmp (only other choice) as well as put .BMP at the end of the file name. I found you need to do both otherwise the file save defaults back to .ART file type.
Copy the .BMP files back the your main computer and use your favourite image editing software to save to your file type of choice, in the case of the Shadows Adventure as .GIF files.

Speaking of which, does anyone have all of the .GIF files that go with the adventure?

Brett.