On 9/6/2020 11:24 PM, Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
> I've been going through my copy of the files on the HIWG CD; I've
> discovered the following:
>
> In ADVENTUR:
>
> The files GBV.1, GBV.2, GBV.RTE, and GUSHMEGE.SUB are word processor files.
> The file signature ("magic number") appears in Notepad as "ÿWPC", which
> suggests "WordPerfect Corp". Current versions of Word and LibreOffice
> Writer open them without comment or complaint.
>
A few years ago I found that the version of Word would not open these files.
But there was an additional free patch for Word, available from the Microsoft
support, which would allow converting the older wordperfect (and a few other
older format) into the Modern word format. In some cases Word would display an
error which required setting Word security settings to allow reading the files.
I promptly converted these files to PDF so I didn't have to worry about it again.
>
> ------
> GAL23 and GAL24 are Jim Vassilakos's GALACTIC program for DOS; you can find
> later versions elsewhere. (Jim, what's the current "official" location? My
> link, to mypbem.com, is broken.)
> ------
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/galactic/info - This is the Yahoo Groups
list, but I think they took down their archives last year.
https://sites.google.com/site/wingalactic/ - This is an attempt to resurrect
Galactic. But it is hosted on Google Sites which is also going away early next
year. Get your copy today.
--
Thomas Jones-Low
Work: xxxxxx@softstart.com
Home: xxxxxx@gmail.com