Re: [TML] HIWG CD Notes Zane Healy 07 Sep 2020 13:57 UTC


> On Sep 7, 2020, at 6:40 AM, Jeff Zeitlin <xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 09:45:04 +0000, Brett Kruger <xxxxxx@kruger.id.au> wrote:
>
>> Now I know what they are I can convert .ART files. A bit fiddly bit I just successfully converted one of the adventure 'GIF' files.
>
> How? Inquiring Minds Want To Know (because it makes recovering those files
> possible)!

I don’t know if this is the answer to the “how”, but it’s always worth trying GraphicConverter on a Mac for odd graphics formats.

https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/

Most of my Traveller graphics are either in PowerPoint 6.0 (Sector Maps), or ClarisDraw (ships diagrams).

I recently needed to access some of my old MS Word doc’s with Traveller data, and to my horror I discovered that MS Word on the Mac can’t open Word 6.0 files, but it looks like the Windows version can.  I thought this rather strange (and more than a little irritating), as I’d recently use the MS Works format to move some data from DEC WPSplus to Word.

There used to be an application on the Mac that would translate a lot fo Word Processing, and some other data.  I’m not sure if anything like this still exists, while still needed, they were only commercially viable in the 90’s.  It would be nice to find an Open Source solution for this.

Zane