Re: [TML] Pilot position Rupert Boleyn 06 Aug 2020 20:58 UTC


On 07Aug2020 0845, Thomas RUX wrote:
>
> CT LBB 2 Starships 1977/1981 p. 16 lists six positions of which one is
> required on starships, non-starships /large interplanetary ships, and
> small craft with volumes from 10 to 5,000 displacement tons. The
> required position has the title of Pilot. I am familiar with the use
> of Pilot as applied to the nautical and aeronautical world. Being a
> sailor I have a small issue with the individual steering/maneuvering a
> ship being called a Pilot.
It does seem a little odd that with everything else in /Traveller/
following a nautical model, that crew position is named as it would be
if following an aviation tradition. I could see it for small craft, as
they are a bit more like aircraft, but calling that role 'coxswain'
seems a better fit and more interesting. [Which I wrote before reading
your later comments on small craft and coxswains.]

--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>