Re: [TML] Pilot position Rupert Boleyn 30 Jun 2020 19:06 UTC


On 01Jul2020 0657, Frank Filz wrote:
>
> For my game, I rely on CT 1977 Books 1-3 (plus Supplement 4 with new
> skill tables to remove almost all the new skills). I don’t see the
> Traveller skills as necessarily actual skills. Remember that a Scout
> ship is supposed to be run by a single person, but Scouts are only
> assured of getting Pilot-1. They may not (most likely don’t) have
> Navigator or Engineer (or Air/Raft for that matter). I see the skills
> more as where the character can do well in an emergency. So maybe
> almost any character could fly/land any kind of ship (or Air/Raft) but
> they may not be good in an emergency. Now the crew requirements does
> force a bit of “qualification” onto skills. But I’m not sure those
> have to be hard and fast with my view of skills.
>
> So with that change in picture, my idea that Ship’s Boat is the skill
> when maneuvering, and Pilot is the skill when dealing with jumps (note
> that Navigator isn’t JUST astrogation, it’s mentioned at least one
> place as also covering navigation on a world) though it’s not so clear
> to me what the Pilot does in jump (and really the rules don’t make
> much call for any of these skills).
>
Book 2 doesn't seem to require any skill to jump safely as long as all
is in order.

--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>