RE: [TML] Pilot position Frank Filz 22 Jul 2020 17:27 UTC

> On 2020-07-21 6:17 a.m., xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
> > In theory....
> > They both speak French like Aussies and Scots speak English.
> > The claim here is continental french has mutated and Quebec french
> > stayed closer to 1700s french.
> > Je ne sais pas rien!
>
> That claim is false. It is just they evolved differently, because it's a living
> language. With different accents, different lexicons.
>
> A person from Quebec will have less trouble understanding a French person,
> than the otherway, because they are more exposed to "European French" than
> French people are exposed to Quebecois French.[1][4]
>
> This applies to other languages too:
>
> Ask an American whether they drive a lowry or a saloon, and if they have spare
> trousers in their boot in case they spill something.
> Also here in Canada we find that colour is mispelled by our neighbours but we'd
> need to wrap our head around the question above as well.[2]

Until I started using auto-corrected word processors, I usually spelled colour correctly :-) Major influences on my imperial spelling were White Dwarf and the Alistair MacLean novels (though I can't get the image of a train going through the US wild west sporting buffers out of my head - that caused such a cognitive dissonance...). My first officemate when I started my first full time job, who was Scottish, shared that he made the mistake of asking the office assistance where the rubbers were kept...

But yea, I know what's kept in the boot of a car and that a lorry delivers all sorts of good things.

Frank