RE: [TML] Pilot position Thomas RUX 30 Jun 2020 03:15 UTC

Hi Frank,

> On 06/29/2020 2:05 PM Frank Filz <xxxxxx@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>
> > Hello Frank,
> >
> > > On 06/28/2020 11:01 AM Frank Filz <xxxxxx@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > Here's my answer to the Pilot/Ship's Boat dilemma:
> > >
> > > Pilot and Ship’s Boat
> > >
> > > Ship’s Boat is a subset of Pilot that only applies while piloting a ship in M-Drive.
> > Pilot is required to pilot a ship through a jump and also applies when piloting a
> > ship in M-Drive. If a character earns ranks in both skills, the levels should be
> > added together and listed as Pilot skill.
> > >
> > > So Ship's Boat skill lets you pilot any space craft in system and for landing and
> > takeoff, but Pilot skill is necessary to pilot a ship into and through jump.
> > >
> > > Frank
> >
> > CT LBB 1 1977/1981 p. 21 Pilot Skill minus 1 allows a character to operate small
> > interplanetary craft (under 100 tons). Under the Referee example a ship's boat
> > pilot is not able to pilot hulls 100 tons and over.
>
> That's actually added in 1981... So since I run 1977, I have to house rule...
>
Thank you for the clarification that you are using Basic Traveller 1977 edition and I did indicate that the information was added in 1981. My Basic Travel books from 1981 have the copyright date of 1977/1981.
>
> One I don't like though is that if you earned Pilot-2 and then rolled Ships Boat, you have a wasted skill roll unless you roll Ships Boat again. And I struggle with how there is something sort of in common but not really. So I made my house rule.
>

There is a difference between a pilot's license for a Cessna 172 and an Airbus A380 even though they both are basically the same skill. From a number of programs I've watched over the years a majority of pilots have started with pilot licenses for aircraft like the Cessna 172 and worked there way up.

The 1981 rule I think fixes the issue. In CT LBB 5 HG 1979 and 1980 Ship's Boat has been moved to a subset of Vehicle Skill only for planetary navies.

Tom Rux