Re: [TML] Starports Alex Goodwin 22 Aug 2020 16:12 UTC

On 23/8/20 1:35 am, Thomas RUX wrote:
> <snip>
> I agree that we view the level of detail that the term "survey" covers differently. Das Boote's sensors are receiving every bit of information about the target system within in design specification. The ship's computer is using software to interpret the gathered information and saving it for immediate and future review. During the immediate review the information that is most important is there any place to refuel, repair, and do maintenance. This is, in my opinion, a survey even though a majority of the information gathered is ignored.

There we will have to agree to disagree - for consistency with prior
PA:VT use, I've ruled (and used) that the previous "take" had already
been fully exploited in the corresponding scan.  I didn't bother coming
up with reasons, and no one asked.

If you want more data above and beyond that previous scan, you need to
go take another look-see (although even a low-grade fool will use the
prior sensor take to guide their next search(es) ).

> <snip>
>
>> As for not being able to find a "system contents table" in the MGT2
>> core, you're not alone.
> What a relief to know that I have not simply overlooked the table. Thank you for the information.
Glad you said that.  If you said "going crazy" or the like, I may not
have been as much help. :)
> <snip>
> I agree that some place holder should be used to note that the target system has, if there is an indication of jump drive use, an unclassified type of port. I can get behind using a question mark "?". If there is no indication of jump drive use then by MgT Core Rule Book the designation code is X.
>
> In CT, MT, and TNE also have expanded/enhanced system generation systems that cover spaceports in addition to starports.
>
> Per the Traveller back story the Vilani were active at Bernard's Star. Scanning the Sol system would not have identified any starports since there where no jump drives being used. There where spaceports on the ground and in orbit. Under MgT rules, which does not appear to have spaceports, the code in my opinion would be "X".
>
> Thank you for the clarification and discussion.
>
> Tom Rux

Looks like, needing to RTFM, I sit corrected.  As T5 is the most recent
Word of Miller, what does that say?