Re: [TML] Waving Hands Over The Jump Drive
Rupert Boleyn 28 Jun 2020 11:38 UTC
On 28Jun2020 2329, Alex Goodwin wrote:
> Depending on relative costs, I (reaching somewhat) could see a case for
> continued J-8/J-9 use despite H-1 being available, because of quantum.
>
> MGT2 lets you build jump drives at higher TL than their base and (for a
> cost premium) reduce the fuel burn. IIRC, reduction is in steps of 5%
> of total fuel burn, and tops out at 15%. A J-8 drive could thus burn
> only 68% of ship's displacement (at +3 TL to the J-8 base), and a J-9
> drive would burn 76.5% of ship displacement.
>
> I did say I was reaching.
TL17+ jump drives in MegaTraveller consumed less fuel. Normally they
consumed (Jn+1)x5 percent of the ship's volume. At TL17 it dropped to
x4, at TL18 to x3, down to a minimum of x1 at TL21+.
TNE used the same basic consumption as MT (but without higher efficiency
at TL17+), and pointed out that this meant that high jump rated drives
used less fuel on short jumps than low rated drives.
--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>