Re: [TML] MgT2 Low Berths
Alex Goodwin 28 May 2020 08:15 UTC
On 28/5/20 5:52 pm, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
> Questions:
> Rulebook says that when revived, a Medic Check is made:
> + END DM
> +1 TL-12+ ship
> -1 Emergency Low Berth
> -2 Non-Humans
>
> Not present and I can't find it in the text anywhere:
> What difficulty is that medic check? Average(8+)?
>
> And discussion points:
>
> +1 TL-12+ ship? Why ship? Presumption of better med facilities? But
> that might not be true. And if I had a TL 12+ Berth on an older ships,
> shouldn't I still get the +1 DM? Seems to me the *berth* is more
> applicable than ship.
>
> -2 Non-Humans - really? One would think that Aslan, Vargr, and esp
> Hivers would have worked out a version for themselves. So if we had
> one of their ships, would humans take -2? Or all other major races and
> minor? Or are some races not at all able to do cold sleep?
>
> And also, if you are a major polity that happens to have a minority of
> (forex Vargr), would one not seek to procure the right sorts of berths?
>
> And what about a multi-race capable berth?
>
> How long do we figure your berth can last without power?
> (Non-emergency version) And does it auto-defrost then and hope for the
> best? Or just seize up and you die asleep?
>
> Thoughts?
>
>
From what I understand Average (8+) is the default difficulty when not
otherwise specified.
I'd be inclined to give the bonus for high-tech ship _or_ berth.
I follow and grok your arguments about low berths being adapted by
species - I doubt (frinstance) a frontline Hierate battlewagon would
blindly accept that sort of penalty on having to revive frozen watch
people in a hurry. So, by extension, a human getting stuffed into an
Aslan-specific low berth would cop the -2 on revival.
Either military or commercial demand should be enough to drive that sort
of development. And (for sake of argument), assuming that a low berth
that independently developed by non-humans (eg, again, Aslan) would be
less risky for humans than the mob who developed it borders on
ludicrous, if not outright pants-on-head.
A multispecies birth might be a different kettle of fish - _which_
species is it suited for? _How many_ ?
Not sure about without-power endurance.
Alex
--