On Sun, 29 Jun 2025 21:36:05 +0100, Timothy Collinson wrote:
>On Sun, 29 Jun 2025, 14:41 Richard Aiken - raikenclw at gmail.com (via tml
>list), <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:
>
>> That's why I listen to so many audiobooks books these days. I can read
>> much faster, but I can listen while driving.
>>
>
>Yes, if i drove, I'd definitely be hunting down audio books. But I pay a
>chauffer to drive me to work and back. Four actually as they divide the
>labour and route between them. Remarkably good value too at £8 for about
>32 miles. I particularly like that they don't try to talk to me on the
>journey so that I *can* get on and read.
>Now, if only I could get the bus company to do a tea trolley...
Railroad and subway for me; each trip $8.86 combined fare. Subway's a bit
loud, and I don't like thingies in (or anywhere near, for that matter) my
ears, so audiobooks aren't really an option. On the other hand, a Samsung
Galaxy Tab S8 with Cantook installed allows me to carry a sizeable library
with little inconvenience, so I can enjoy a good read during my commute. Or
nap, if it's needed. I'm at that stage of life where an occasional restless
night seems to be imposed on me, like it or not.
I'm neither stupid nor insane, so driving isn't really an option. And even
if I were stupid or insane, so is the price of parking in Manhattan. So,
no, I don't think so.
®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Mongoose Publishing, 1977-2025. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.
--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller
The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Resource
xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com
Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:
onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)