Re: [TML] The Ship's Locker Jeff Zeitlin 13 Oct 2020 23:30 UTC

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 08:53:42 -0400, I wrote:

>>The Ship's Locker is the storage area that just ... collects stuff. Stuff
>>that a crew member thinks might be useful. Someday. Maybe. Stuff that
>>nobody can think of a use for, but which can't be totally useless. Stuff
>>that nobody quite remembers what they were thinking when they bought it.
>>Stuff that used to be useful, but is broken now, and was just tossed in the
>>Locker until someone remembers to clean the Locker out and toss out all
>>that junk. Stuff.

OK, people have been posting a very eclectic combination of things. I'll go
through what's been posted, but it occurs to me - based on something I've
gotten from tc - that maybe organizing these in some way would be useful.
So, I'd appreciate it if any future contributions would be labelled with
one of the following categories:

     1. Used to be useful, but isn't now (broken, missing parts, etc.)
     2. I have no idea what, but it's gotta be useful for something...
     3. What was I thinking when I got this?
     4. I don't think I want to ask...
     5. Don't toss that; ________ will get upset!
     6. Should be useful, but...

If you can think of additional categories, add them!

While some "bare identifications" are OK (because obvious), a sentence or
short paragraph about the item could easily add color to the entry (even
for the obvious ones). For example:

   A hand-torch (US: flashlight): If you manage to find the odd-sized power
   cells (batteries, in an uncommon size) that it requires, you'll find
   that the power button controls a three-way cyclical activation routine:
   from the off position, one press causes it to emit a bright 'white'
   light, the second press changes to a dim red light, and the third turns
   it off again.
   [Category 6; in theory, the red light is useful for reading things
   without destroying your night vision... but you have to go past the
   night-vision-destroying white light to get there.]

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2020. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller
    The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Resource
xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)