Re: [TML] MegaTraveller Brownie Points Rupert Boleyn 13 Oct 2020 17:40 UTC


On 14Oct2020 0215, xxxxxx@quibell.org.uk wrote:
> I've always used them anywhere in character generation where ever there is a dice roll; however I tend to use basic character generation because I want a balanced party across all available careers, not just specialists in Army, Marines, Navy, Scouts and Merchants. You can still use/apply Brownie points, you just get less of them, also I assign rank skills as +1 skills if the characters already have them.
I've never read the chargen rules in CT and MT as meaning anything but
that for rank skills. MT says "Acquisition of Skills: Upon the first
acquisition of a skill, the player writes the skill name, followed by a
dash and the number 1 (thus: Navigation-1). The second time the skill is
acquired, the number is increased to show greater expertise (thus,
Navigation-2). Further acquisitions of the skill will increase this
level. The higher the level, the greater the expertise in that skill."

That would seem to apply to all skills gained in chargen, no matter
where from.

One of the many things I'm not keen on in Mongoose Traveller is rank
skills (and some others) being a fixed level. It encourages trying to
game chargen by taking careers in the 'best' order, and other such
things. Also, to me it feels stingy.

--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>