RE: [TML] How many man-hours does building 1dTon of starship cost on average
ewan@xxxxxx 23 Sep 2026 10:08 UTC
Hi Chris,
The only data to the amount of labour that is needed to build a ship as far as I know is the Build time from the Drive potential table in Book2. But then I don’t know TNE or T4 or T5 from a building point of view that well. I don’t think there is a construction time component in Fire Fusion and Steel for TNE. There is a side note about doubling construction times in FFS T4, but I can see any full table, and there is nothing in the rule book. And I'm only just starting to look at T5 so I have no idea there (sorry).
I use the Construction time table from the Consolidated MegaTraveller Errata v2.21 . Mr McKinney kindly put the table in along with some rules for speeding up construction by adding capacity or the amount of work weeks etc. I don’t know who proposed it, or whether it was Mr McKinney himself, but I assume it's based on the Book 2 table, and extrapolated in weeks from there.
The Book 2 table only takes into account the size of the hull, and these are for custom hulls of the size required.
As Book 2 only goes up to 5,000 tons HighGuard adds construction times from 24 to 60 months for ships over 5,000 tons but doesn't give any more details from there.
Other than that there is little no nothing about man hours of building a starship.
Having said that there is the maintenance needed that was brought in with MgT, you might be able to make an extrapolation from that?
--
For the fallen in the cause of the free:
"When I go home I will tell of them and say,
For our tomorrow, They gave their today."
My spelling is entirerly due to dyslexia, typos, and poetic license
-----Original Message-----
From: xxxxxx@simplelists.com <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Sent: 22 September 2026 23:24
To: The Traveller Mailing List <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
Subject: [TML] How many man-hours does building 1dTon of starship cost on average
I don't see anything in CT05 about it. I'd have to re-read CT02 to be sure that it wasn't there.
I get that this isn't an easy question to pin down. I expect for example that it takes less, perhaps far less, TL-15 man hours to build a ship than it would at TL-10. I'm really looking for a rough guide.
-- Chris
--
Chris
__o "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
_`\<,_ -Rosa Parks
___(*)/_(*)____.___o____..___..o...________ooO..._____________________
Christopher Sean Hilton [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]
-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com To unsubscribe from this list please go to https://lists.simplelists.com/subs/