Re: [TML] Gold… Alex Goodwin 25 Aug 2025 14:18 UTC

On 26/8/25 00:08, Kurt Feltenberger - kfeltenberger at yahoo.com (via
tml list) wrote:
> I’m re-reading my favorite book from one of my favorite (and most
> influential authors when I was a boy in the late 1970s and 1980s); The
> Far Traveler by A. Bertram Chandler. In it, the setting for most of
> the story is the deep space yacht Far Traveler. What makes it unique
> is that it’s made from an alloy of gold that is strong enough to serve
> as hull plating.
>
> My question is simple; is it possible to create such an alloy in the
> Traveller universe?  Whether through chemical alloy, nanotechnology,
> or some sort of hinted at super-science alchemy that would seem like
> magic to us today?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> Kurt Feltenberger
> "So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause" ~Senator
> Padme Amidala

Kurt,

Off top of my head, I'd lean towards yes - maybe through similar gubbins
to that which produces bonded superdense armour?

I gather we never find out in "The Far Traveler" exactly _what_ the gold
was alloyed _with_, or how it was subsequently processed, to produce the
required macguffinite?

Alex