Re: [TML] Typical ranks for JAG officers Jeff Zeitlin 26 Jan 2025 17:21 UTC

On Sun, 26 Jan 2025 11:37:55 +0000 (UTC), Phil Pugliese wrote:

> Hey Evyn, since you would be 'in the know' more than anyone else;
>What happened to all the talk of resurrecting the 'one star' rank of 'Commodore'.
>I swear that many, many years ago, I watched a documentary on TV that showed the 'Captain' of a CVN wearing a rank of one star on his khaki collar.But, since then, I have seen several other CVN 'Captains' that were wearing the O-6 eagle.
>I also remember that there was even some controversy in Congress wrt how the progression from O-7 to O-8 was very different in the USN compared to the US Army, USAF, & Marine Corps.

As I understand it, the USN (and USCG) no longer use "Commodore" as a rank;
instead, they call O-7 (NATO OF-6) "Rear Admiral (Lower Half)" and the
bearer of such rank wears one star on collar or epaulets (with a fouled
anchor, in the latter case). "Commodore" is used in some other US
organizations that have uniformed arms that mimic the USN rank structure,
such as the Public Health Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration. It is also used in the USN and USCG as a strictly honorary
title for a senior Captain (O-6/NATO OF-5) who is in charge of an
organisational unit made up of subordinate independent commands (e.g.,
multiple ships or aviation groups).

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Mongoose Publishing, 1977-2024. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller
    The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Resource
xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)