On 27Sept2024 1118, kaladorn at gmail.com (via tml list) wrote: > Well, since I don't consider the 3I as a real thing, as I don't think > it's model would work for very long, I don't see it falling apart > exactly as they wrote it, but I also don't see it surviving anywhere > near the length of time they decided it would be. I can't really say > which is less likely, but both seem very likely to me - that they got to > that size and could manage it for any real scale and the fact that it > would eventually fail from one action - both are unlikely. I think the humans of the Traveller universe are not the same as us - they seem far less prone to taking governments and societies apart than we are - the major humans empires of the TU are much bigger (in terms of travel times and information lag times) than anything we've ever managed, but last many times longer between upheavals. Heck, the Vargr are called 'unstable', and they managed a sector-sized state that lasted centuries! -- Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>