Re: [TML] TV series and Traveller Trade Routes...
Rupert Boleyn 05 Sep 2023 00:40 UTC
On 05Sept2023 1227, Harold Hale - harold.hale at gmail.com (via tml
list) wrote:
> As a rule, all systems that are connected by Jump-1 would constitute a
> "jump 1 main". A classic example of a jump 1 main exists in the
> Solomani Rim. The majority of interstellar trade occurs at this level.
> There are also jump 2 mains. In addition to interconnecting the jump 1
> mains, they would bring goods and data to most of the Imperium. There
> would be no jump 3 mains per se. You however have routes between
> important high population worlds that would be covered by specialty J-3
> cargo ships. Beyond that would be the X Boat routes, J-4, J-5 ships
> that are more concerned with the movement of communications and data
> between all the worlds of the Imperium, and the MILCOM version which
> operate J-6 starships.
I find it quite useful, when looking at a sector or part thereof, to
print out a copy of the map and colour in all the J1 mains, and then all
the J2 connections. Having done that, I can then mark in likely J-3
routes that connect j1/2 mains.
If I then mark in the 'important' worlds (high pop + High TL, and
high-TL + A/B starport for a normal campaign), I'll now have a pretty
good overview of how trade will flow in the area.
If there are no cannon X-boat routes adding sensible ones is fairly
simple at this point. Likewise any J5/6 courier routes I think the IN,
various megacorps, etc. might have, though aside from some routes
between the capitals and depots and a few very important frontier bases
I don't think the IN would have fixed high-speed courier routes. The
megacorps probably do, but again, generally only a few routes unless
there's a perceived need for extra-fast comms to/from a certain place.
The Imperial Family either co-opts IN or IISS couriers (I figure the
Sounts will have a few for moving really hot news around), or uses the
Imperial Lines, and thus they have no set routes, just more or less
covert high-jump assets to send as needed.
--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>