Re: [TML] refuelling... not at a gas giant
Rupert Boleyn 11 Oct 2020 06:07 UTC
On 11Oct2020 1556, James Catchpole - jlcatchpole at googlemail.com (via
tml list) wrote:
> I agree with all the salient points you make, but I think you have
> made a mistake in your working out, as 1.56 + 9.78 <> 14...
>
> 14 / 9 = 1.56, rounded to 2dp.
>
> 14 × 8 / 9 = 12.44, rounded to 2dp.
>
> So, the oxygen is 12.44 tonnes, taking up 0.78 DTons if cryogenically
> cooled.
You're right. Not sure where that error came from.
>
> I would add that cryogenically cooling the oxygen is trivial if you
> can cool H2 sufficiently to make a liquid, only needing to be kept
> below 90K at 1 atm, rather than the 33K maximum for H2, or 20K at 1
> atm. Indeed, liquid H2 is cold enough to freeze 02...
Sure, but you still have to do it.
--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>