Re: [TML]A question for the panel regarding jump drive and relativity
Alex Goodwin 07 Sep 2020 15:28 UTC
On 8/9/20 12:20 am, Nicole Susans wrote:
> Many years ago when I was at university and dinosaurs roamed the earth
> I did two years of physics as part of my degree (I majored in
> mathematics but had some spare papers). I have a basic grasp on
> relativity and quantum mechanics. So yes I know what I'm in for lol
>
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2020, 2:15 AM Jeff Zeitlin,
> <xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com <mailto:xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com>>
> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 02:05:34 +1200, Nicole Susans
> <xxxxxx@gmail.com <mailto:xxxxxx@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
> >A simple question. Can Traveller jump drives achieve time travel
> and if so
> >is there a way around it?
>
> My first thought on reading this question is "Oh, you so did _not_
> want to
> go there...".
>
> (Cue discussions and dissertations on relativity, which I'm not
> exactly
> qualified to participate in...)
>
Nicole,
What are you connoting by "time travel"?
After all, we're all doing a version of it as we read the TML - away
from the Big Bang, at 1 second per second. So a trivial answer to your
question would be "Yes - don't even need to power it up".
Are you creating a closed timelike curve and sending some other poor sod
down it?
Are you creating _and traversing_ a CTC, like Thomas Jones-Low's reply
seemed to assume?
Are you bolting a modified DeLorean to your Scout ship and *BAMF*ing
further away from the Big Bang - discontinuous travel in all of x, y, z
and t, simultaneously, where t1 > t0?
There's probably a bunch of cases I've missed, but that should do for a
start.
Alex