Re: [TML] ATV system schematic
Eric A. Rhude 06 Jul 2020 20:48 UTC
Hey TC:
I used something like this for a engineer looking to prove his salt as a
now hire on a new ship.
The ship at one time had bots that monitored and did minor maintenance on
fluid pipes. Reports to some obscure log that was watched by 5 engineers
ago. Well they broke down and the foul water pipe is down to 20% flow.
Can the engineer get the bot working and back to work or does he have to
rip the entire floor out and deal with foul water everywhere?
ERic
> Greetings
>
> Sorry to trouble you all again, but once my brain gets ticking over...
>
> In our last session Jim C caused me to reflect afterwards on whether I'd
> spent too much time on a segment for his character. I don't think I did,
> it was his turn in the spotlight, the others get their turn (Loyd and his
> ladies, Fred and his toilet rolls), but it made me think perhaps I should
> give our engineer/mechanic her turn next time. Her character bio says she
> likes puzzle solving and I think that it's in the nature of her player as
> well (who is also a computer and particularly a comms specialist in real
> life [1]).
>
> So, the weekend has seen me completely distracted from actually writing
> any
> 'plot' because, this:
> [image: image.png]
>
> My aims:
> 1) to look pretty and interesting and vaguely realistic. YMMV on the
> first
> two but can anyone see any problems/omissions? (This really isn't my
> expert area!)
>
> 2) not to be *too* complex (I've looked at some real wiring diagrams!),
> this is supposed to be fun and take a few minutes of game time not the
> entire session. There could be whole other pages on water systems [2] etc
> and the subsystems represent boxes of more complexity I'm not aiming to
> show.
>
> 3) but is it complex enough for what I really want and that's some kind of
> little puzzle for the engineer which this will help solve (rather than
> just
> look pretty)? I've not come up with such a puzzle and it could be done
> with a Task, but it would be fun if it was a real world conundrum as well.
> So:
>
> 4) any bright ideas on such a puzzle? (Not *too* technical! I've got to
> run the thing with my bear of little brain and it would be nice if it were
> more generally usable by any Traveller "layperson" rather than only my
> specific player.
>
> (Please note that it's possible there will be enough adventure surrounding
> this scene that it might one day see light of day as a publication.
> Please
> don't contribute if you wouldn't like to see it used like that as I can't
> really offer much more than a credit. Not a Credit! Or at least be very
> clear you'd only want to see an idea used in game.)
>
> tc
>
>
>
> [1] She keeps threatening to write some *proper* Traveller comms rules as
> none meet her idea of any kind of even science fictional reality. I keep
> encouraging her to do so.
>
> [2] Oh no, now I've put the thought in my head...
> -----
> The Traveller Mailing List
> Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
> Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
> To unsubscribe from this list please go to
> http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=PSg1tnwNJh2wcLmlfPKAknsMUBGoEyHS