Subject: [SERIALST] Serials claims measures
From: "Pennington, Buddy D." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:48:11 -0500

Hi all,

We claim on a weekly basis and continue to manually tally the number of
claims sent to our agents.  Our Innovative ILS tallies the total sent
each week and our serials assistant then totals those weekly tallies by
hand for a monthly total.

We've made a push to automate our statistics collection, and I was
thinking that we might switch from claims sent to # of claimed issues as
a monthly measure of the work we have done for claiming late issues.  We
could easily collect the number of claimed issues for the month using
Innovative's Create Lists function.  

I was wondering a couple of things:

1.     How many libraries continue to claim late issues? I have heard
that a number of libraries have given this up.

2.     If so, how do you measure that work?  Claims sent?  Does anyone
measure it in the way I described above?

Thanks all!

Buddy Pennington 
Serial Acquisitions Librarian 
University of Missouri - Kansas City 
University Libraries 

800 E. 51st Street

Kansas City, MO  64110

816-235-1548

UMKC University Libraries: Discovery. Knowledge. Empowerment.